To become a member of Macher Aquatic Center for the Summer 2017 season, please fill out the Aquatic Center Application.
For more information about the benefits of a summer membership at Macher Aquatic Center, please call Joanne Macher at 573-875-7946.
American Red Cross Lifeguard Classes at Macher Swim School
These classes are the American Red Cross “Blended Learning” courses. This involves pre-class online participation by reading material presented by the American Red Cross. More information on this will be available at the pre-course swim test and introduction day, held at Macher Swim School.
The purpose of this course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize, and respond to aquatic emergencies
and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until emergency medical service personnel take over.
Prerequisites for the class:
- Must be at least 15 years of age before last scheduled class session
- Be able to swim 400 yards continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing, using front crawl or breaststroke
- Swimming on the back or side is not allowed
- Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only
- Must place hands under arms pits
- Complete the following event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Start in water and swim 20 yards (no goggles)
- Surface dive 7-10 feet
- Retrieve a 10-pound weight
- Return to surface and swim 20 yards on back with both hands holding object, keeping face at or near surface for breathing
- Exit water without using ladder or steps
- Test will occur on the introduction day of the course
Items to bring to class each day (including introduction day):
In order to pass, participants must attend the entire course, participate and demonstrate competency in all skills, and pass the final written exam with a minimum score of 80%.
Upon successful completion of the program, participants will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, valid for 2 years.
Classes must have a minimum of 5 students.
To enroll, choose a section from below and call Joanne Macher at 573-875-7946.
201 American Red Cross Life Guarding Full Course
All students must sign up through the American Red Cross – please call us closer to the time for the course number to complete the sign up process.
Deadline to Enroll for the full course call us at 573-875-SWIM (7946) by
Full Course: Course fee is $199
Dates for Full Course: All classes held at Macher Swim School – must attend all 4 days